9/19/12

Trailer 2


http://youtu.be/b1SJ7yaa7cI

It is here. Go watch it now or Dwalin may crush your skull.

Some great glimpses of Martin Freeman as Bilbo (I'm going on an adventure!), but also some concerning things for me. While I understand that the tone of The Hobbit is more whimsical than LotR, that comedic sense is conveyed by Bilbo in the book. On the page, the Dwarves are serious and grim for the most part.  In this film, I get the impression that the Dwarves are going to be largely portrayed as Middle-Earth frat boys... Nevertheless, I am excited about Radagast (whats up with the sled though?) and the extra scenes with Galadriel. No matter my reservations about the CGI Moria Goblins and how young they made Thorin, I am still insanely excited that this beloved tale is being made in visual form. Home is now behind us...

UPDATED:

My take on the trailer by frames...

0:02 Dol Guldur
Amazing shot, I love the twisted trees and the ruins of the tower.  I think that the scenery here forebodes the presence of the Necromancer.

0:10 Thorin and Co running across rocky hills
Where are they running?  What does Thorin see that causes him to pause?  

0:16 Gandalfs eye and Bilbos reaction
I was impressed by the way that Martin copied Ian's mannerisms here.  Good study of the other actor to provide continuity.

0:20 Fili and Kili
Why?  Why choose the two "stud" dwarves to be the ones representing at the door?  Ugh.

0:25 Headbutt
Balin and Dwalin doing the headbutt was funny and seemed a very Dwarvish way to act.

0:29 "So this is the Hobbit."
You can already hear the first notes of disdain that we all know Thorin carries for Bilbo.

0:37 Creepin'
Martin is perfect, a very hobbity way to act.

0:48 :I'm going on an adventure!"
This is the best shot in the trailer for me.  Iconic with Bag End behind him.  Classic.

0:53 Galadriel
Cate really brings a sense of majesty to this role.  Ethereal beauty incarnate.

0:57 Gandalf afraid
I love Peter's addition of this dialogue.  I think it is true to Gandalf's character and is very moving.  I can't wait for the whole scene.

1:02 Moria Orc
A goblin attacks Bilbo in Goblin Town and Sting flames blue in return!  Go Bilbo!

1:05 Imladris and Moon Runes
This is a neat scene for Rivendell.  Perhaps close to the bottom of the valley falls?  Rivendell's basement?

1:08 "What of it?"
Thorin is a bit of a prick huh?  Although I like seeing the tension between the Dwarves and the Elves.

1:13 The Bunny Sled
WTF?

1:15 Radagast the Brown
I think this is a nice portrayal.  Tolkien kinda describes him as a PETA stylized hippie.  I can see it here.

1:20 Gollum
Andy Serkis is great at acting bi-polar or schizo.  Glad to see our "precious" back in action.

1:34 "Fair enough"
I say this all the time.  Cool to hear Bilbo use it.

1:37 Wargs
A newly designed, more wolf-like Warg jumps over Bilbo.  Glad to be rid of the hyenas from LotR.

1:43 Stone Giant
I was wondering if they would include these guys.  I like the way they portray them.

1:48 Stone Trolls
I am somehwat worried about how the CGI will look on these guys.  I hope it is done well.

1:52 and 1:58 Bilbo Amazed
I love how Bilbo is in awe of the beauty of Rivendell

2:00 Upsy Daisey
Neat way to escape the goblins, have your mates pull you up by your war-staff.

2:02 15th Bird
A very iconic pose of Gandalf in the tree, with an eagle screech in the background!

2:13 Goblin King
I did not like the end of the trailer.  The Goblin King falling on the Dwarves and the attempt at comic relief was silly.  Check out the official Hobbit movie website for alternate endings.  I like the one with Gandalf and the wager.